|I had to change drastically when I became a father. Brian Smith|
|All of a sudden I had to grow up. Emma Jones|
When do we use ‘have to’? Do you remember when Brian and Emma used ‘have to’?
‘have to’ is a main verb, in this case ‘have’ is not used as an auxiliary verb (but rather as a semi-modal verb).
We usually use ‘must’, a modal verb which expresses obligations and necessity, when we believe something is important. For example: ‘I think you must call your mother more often, she is really worried about you’.
The rule is: ‘have to’ expresses impersonal obligation as from an external force for eg: the law or school.
I have to wear a uniform in my new school ( the school rules) Subj + have to + verb
People have to drive on the right side in Italy. (it’s the law) Subj + have to + verb
‘have to’ is used in almost all verb tenses:
|affirmative||had to + v||have to + v||will have to + v|
|negative||didn’t have to + v||don’t have to + v||won’t have to / will not have to + v|
|interrogative||did + S + have to + v||do + S + have to + v||will + S + have to + v|
also with modal verbs themselves:
|Modal verb ‘may’||S + may + have to + v||e.g.: The parents may have to come to the school.|
The most important things to remember:
Check if you can use ‘have to’, ‘have got to’ and ‘must’ (and their negative forms) by doing the quiz I prepared for you!
It’s a multiple choice task, only one answer is correct.
0 of 10 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 10 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. She will ………….. wait in the queue like everyone else, even though she’s a celebrity.
2. This year I …………… remember to send a birthday card to my father. I always forget about it.
3. We ………… go to the doctors again, because we had forgotten to collect the prescription.
4. They …………………. attend the conference if they want a certificate.
5. All factory workers ……………. on time for work.
6. You ……….. do your homework before you can watch T.V.
7. I ………… wake up early tomorrow, I took a day off.
8. I thought I ……………. go and pick your sister up from the airport yesterday.
9. My car broke down yesterday and I …….. have it towed to the mechanics.
10. She …………… come with us! She has her own car.