|I had to change drastically when I became a father. Brian Smith|
|All of a sudden I had to grow up. Emma Jones|
When do we use ‘have to’? Do you remember when Brian and Emma used ‘have to’?
‘have to’ is a main verb, in this case ‘have’ is not used as an auxiliary verb (but rather as a semi-modal verb).
We usually use ‘must’, a modal verb which expresses obligations and necessity, when we believe something is important. For example: ‘I think you must call your mother more often, she is really worried about you’.
The rule is: ‘have to’ expresses impersonal obligation as from an external force for eg: the law or school.
I have to wear a uniform in my new school ( the school rules) Subj + have to + verb
People have to drive on the right side in Italy. (it’s the law) Subj + have to + verb
‘have to’ is used in almost all verb tenses:
|affirmative||had to + v||have to + v||will have to + v|
|negative||didn’t have to + v||don’t have to + v||won’t have to / will not have to + v|
|interrogative||did + S + have to + v||do + S + have to + v||will + S + have to + v|
also with modal verbs themselves:
|Modal verb ‘may’||S + may + have to + v||e.g.: The parents may have to come to the school.|
The most important things to remember:
Check if you can use ‘have to’, ‘have got to’ and ‘must’ (and their negative forms) by doing the quiz I prepared for you!
It’s a multiple choice task, only one answer is correct.
0 of 10 Domande completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
È necessario innanzitutto completare quanto segue:
0 of 10 Domande answered correctly
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. She will ………….. wait in the queue like everyone else, even though she’s a celebrity.
2. This year I …………… remember to send a birthday card to my father. I always forget about it.
3. We ………… go to the doctors again, because we had forgotten to collect the prescription.
4. They …………………. attend the conference if they want a certificate.
5. All factory workers ……………. on time for work.
6. You ……….. do your homework before you can watch T.V.
7. I ………… wake up early tomorrow, I took a day off.
8. I thought I ……………. go and pick your sister up from the airport yesterday.
9. My car broke down yesterday and I …….. have it towed to the mechanics.
10. She …………… come with us! She has her own car.