What do I need to get a job as an EFL teacher in Malta?

Requirements for an ELT Teaching Permit set by the ELT Council Malta


​Applicants must be in possession of:
“For applicants under 21 years of age: A pass in TELT or an A’ Level in English with grades A, B or C together with a TEFL Induction Course certificate (approved by the ELT Council), a pass in SEPTT, a matriculation standard of education and a clean police conduct.
For applicants over 21 years of age: A pass in TELT or an A’ Level in English with grades A, B or C together with a TEFL Induction course certificate (approved by the ELT Council),​ a pass in SEPTT and a clean police conduct.“
“CELTA, Cert.Tesol or any comparable or higher qualification recognized by the Malta Qualifications Council and approved by the ELT Council together with a pass in SEPTT and a clean police conduct.”​

Do I need a VISA to work in Malta?

All EU nationals do not need a VISA to work in Malta. However, it is important and necessary to apply for a Maltese ID / residence card. https://identitymalta.com/citizenships-expatriates/
Non-EU nationals must apply for a working VISA, and their employer should help them in the application process prior to the arrival – that means you should have a job before you decide to move to Malta. Unfortunately, not many schools provide help to non-EU nationals.

How do I apply for my ELT teaching Permit?

Thee cost of your first  ELT Permit is €15, but you must be at least 18 years old, and provide:

(a) a matriculation certificate or comparable qualifications at National Qualifications Framework level 4 if under the age of twenty-one years on the date of application;

(b)(i) a Test for English Language Teachers (TELT) certificate issued by the Council or comparable qualification in English not inferior to Grade C at Advanced level at National Qualifications Framework level 4, and a certificate in the methodology of teaching English language to speakers of other languages approved by the Council or comparable, or higher qualifications in English language awareness, proficiency and methodology from a recognised institution approved by the Council; or

(b)(ii) an international certificate at National Qualifications Framework level 5 in English language teaching to speakers of other languages or a higher qualification from a recognised institution as approved by the Council;

(c) a SEPTT certificate at Band 3 issued by the Council or any other speaking proficiency test certificate at a level deemed sufficient by the Council;

(d) a clean and recent police conduct issued within the last month prior to application date.

Application form available here: https://eltcouncil.gov.mt/applications/

How many hours of CPD do I need to renew my ELT teaching Permit?

The cost to renew your permit every four years is €20. In addition, you will have to provide certificates proving attendance of CPD courses/workshops/webinars – a total of 32 hours per 4 years.

Application form available here:


How many EFL schools are in Malta?

As of May 2021, there are 37 licensed English Language Schools in Malta. You can see a full list provided by the ELT Council here: https://eltcouncil.gov.mt/industry/

How much and how would I get paid?

Payment depends on many factors, i.e. your qualifications (TEFL lower, CELTA and DELTA higher pay), your experience and the size of the school (bigger schools normally pay more). Teachers are paid for the time they spend in classroom teaching students, not the time spent preparing lessons or checking/marking homework, and are paid an hourly fee which is between 8 – 14 EUR per hour.

Some schools offer teachers a casual part-time contract, which means that you will work as if/when the school needs you. Some offer a part-time employment with at least 15 hours/week guaranteed. If you are lucky the school will offer you a full-time contract with a min of 20 hours/week guaranteed.

Some schools still use cheques for payment, but majority will pay you via bank transfer.

Can I work at different schools at the same time?

This also depends on the school. Unfortunately, some will ask you to sign an agreement that you will only be working for them.

Where are the students from?

Each year the number of students increases, and in 2017 it reached over 87 000 students. As posted in the ELT Council Newsletter, “Mr Caruana declared that the top three countries from where students arrived in 2017 were Italy with 29.4%, Germany with 11.8%, and France with 10.5%”. Together these accounted for more than half of total students.

More info and more recent statistics available here: https://eltcouncil.gov.mt/nso-statistics/

What are the students’ ages?

According to the National Statistics Office Malta: “The majority of the students were under 18 years of age. The largest share of language students were aged 15 years or less, making up 32.2 per cent of total students. Students aged 50 and over were in the minority and numbered 5,741.”

Where can I get my CPD hours?

Bigger schools usually offer a minimum of 2-4 CPD in-house sessions, which are free of charge for their teachers. Some schools open their doors to teachers from other schools, but then you might be asked to pay a small fee. There are 2 organisations which specialise in Teachers’ Professional Development – including META Consultancy Ltd. – you can apply for tailor-made CPD workshops with us, face-to-face or online depending on the most recent COVID regulations: https://www.meta.mt/efl-teachers/

The first and the ‘oldest’ one is MATEFL http://www.matefl.org/. They organise very good CPD sessions, 3 times a year, in spring, summer and autumn. All you need to do is become a MATEFL member and pay a fee of EUR20 per year.

The second organisation is TETRA http://tetra.com.mt/ , established in 2016. They organise CPD sessions and courses which sometimes last 4 to 8 hours per day. They also organise TEFL and TELT courses.

There are also CPD sessions organised by the government, the ELT Council, like a big yearly International ELT Malta Conference.
FELTOM – Malta’s Federation of English Language Teaching Organisations, also offers CPD – http://feltom.com/

If you prefer to do your professional development in the comfort of your own home, you can sign up for some of the reputable online webinars, such as:


However, you must make sure that after the webinar you will be provided with a Certificate of attendance that clearly states how long the course was.